Lies. Truth. Alternative Facts. This film analyses the uncovering of former UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim’s wartime past by the World Jewish Congress. Created from archive material, The Waldheim Waltz shows the successful use of anti-Semitism and populist propaganda.
- Berlinale – Glashütte Original Documentary Award (2018)
- Cinéma du Réel (2018)
- Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema (2018)
- Moscow International Film Festival (2018)
- Play-Doc, Tui International Documentary Film Festival - Best Film (2018)
- Internationales Frauenfilmfestival Dortmund / Köln (2018)
- DOK.fest München (2018)
- Millennium Docs Against Gravity (2018)
- Tel Aviv International Documentary Film Festival - Special Jury Award (2018)
- Festival al Este de Lima (2018)
- Sheffield International Documentary Festival (2018)
- San Francisco Jewish Film Festival (2018)
She was born in Vienna where she also spent her childhood. After her studies in journalism and history of art in Vienna, Tel Aviv and New York, she got her PhD degree in 1977 at the University of Vienna. She has since contributed as a journalist to several Austrian and Swiss magazines.
In 1978 she (co-)founded the distribution company Filmladen, where she was active for seven years. During this period, Ruth Beckermann started to make films and write books. Since 1985 she has been working as a writer and filmmaker. Her film The Dreamed Ones was selected at many international festivals and won several awards. In 2018, Ruth Beckermann finished her latest film The Waldheim Waltz and won, among other awards, the Glashütte-Original Documentary Award from the Berlin International Film Festival.
Filmography: The Dreamed Ones (2016); The Missing Image (2015); Those Who Go Those Who Stay (2013); Jackson/Marker 4am (2012); American Passages (2011); Mozart Enigma (2006); Zorros Bar Mizwa (2006); Homemad(E) (2001); A Fleeting Passage to the Orient (1999); East of War (1996); Towards Jerusalem (1991); Paper Bridge (1987); Return to Vienna (1984); The Steel Hammer Out There on the Grass (1981); Suddenly, a Streik (1978); Arena Squatted (1977).