Jules spent the year rehearsing the dance steps to Billie Jean for his end-of-year show at the Leisure Centre. The same year, he appeared on stage at a concert of a post rock band that he then joined. He took part in several concerts, took off his shirt and threw himself into the crowd. We started filming Jules then and proposed spending a day in a studio to film him dancing.
Mati Diop lives and works between France and Senegal. Her debut feature film Atlantics* won the Grand Prix at Cannes Film Festival where it premiered in 2019 and was shortlisted for Best International Film at the Oscars 2020. In my room (2020), her last short film, premiered at the Venice Film Festival. Her previous shorts, One thousand suns (2014), Big in Vietnam (2011), Snow Canon (2010) and Atlantics (2009) have been screened and awarded at many film festivals including Venice, Toronto, Rotterdam, Viennale, FID Marseille, Indie Lisboa. Mati was awarded Lincoln Center’s Martin E. Segal Emerging Artist Award in 2016.
As an actress, Mati Diop made her debut in Claire Denis’ 35 Shots of Rum (2008), and has since appeared in Simon Killer by Antonio Campos (2012), Fort Buchanan by Benjamin Crotty (2014), and Hermia & Helena by Matias Piñeiro (2016).
* ATLANTICS (2019)
- Grand Prix at Official Competition at Cannes Film Festival
- Short listed for Best International Film at the 92nd Oscars Academy Awards
- Mary Pickford Award atToronto Film Festival
- Best first feature Award at BFI
- Best first feature Award at New York Film Critics Circle
- Agnès Varda Award at Middleburg Film Festival
- Tanit d’Argent Award at Carthage Film Festival
- France Culture / Cinéma des Étudiants Award for Best Film
- Nominated at the Directors Guild of America for Best first feature